Baton Rouge Rehab Hospital offers the only
comprehensive driving evaluation in Baton Rouge. Our van is equipped with an entry ramp, which allows our wheelchair users easy access to the driver's seat, hand controls, left foot accelerator, various steering devices and modifications for secondary controls. We have the capability to complete post assessment training for modifications with our Certified Driving Rehab Specialist (CDRS)
We provide services to all patients - ambulatory, wheelchairbound, amputees, post neurologic injury, etc.
Some medical conditions that may affect your ability to drive include:
Neurological Disorders Spinal Cord Injury
Vision Problems Cognitive Deficits
Multiple Medical Conditions Aging process
There are two parts to the evaluation: a clinical and an on-road evaluation.
Our occupational therapist/CDRS will perform the clinical evaluation to determine the effects that medical conditions, functional limitations and medications may have on the safety of driving. The clinical evaluation consists of:
- A complete driving history, type of vehicle and use of adaptive equipment.
- Testing cognitive and perceptual abilities to measure reaction time, problem solving, divided attention and your brain's ability to process safety in various situations.
- Vision screening ; depth perception, visual acuity, and peripheral vision; contrast sensitivity.
- Upper and lower body range of motion, strength, sensation and coordination
- Brake reaction time.
On-road evaluations will be completed by our OT/CDRS to assess your driving ability.
- Ability to handle a vehicle with standard equipment or adaptive equipment.
- Ability to navigate traffic situations safely
- Demonstration of appropriate visual awareness, decision making, and attention skills
- Our Occupational therapist/CDRS will make recommendations based on the results of the clinical and on-road evaluation.
Recommendations for driving may consist of:
- Completion of driver's training
- Adaptive equipment modifications to vehicle
- Limitations such as distance, time of day and speed
- Complete restriction of driving privileges
- A physician order for Occupational Therapy Driving Evaluation is required.